This class focuses on wilderness first aid which is the management of medical emergencies in remote areas, on the trail hiking, camping, participating in water activity and more. Our program is based on the most current method of animal emergency care as recommended by licensed veterinarians. This class is designed to teach the active dog owner, outdoorsman and animal professional how to administer emergency CPR and first aid to a dog until veterinary care is ascertained.
The skills and topics covered in this class include:
- Safety techniques when working with injured dogs
- How to perform emergency triage and assess if an animal is experiencing a life-threatening medical emergency
- How to restrain and properly transport sick and/or injured dogs
- How to perform emergency triage and assess if a dog is experiencing a life-threatening medical emergency
- How to provide emergency first aid to dogs en-route to veterinary care
- How to triage a dog that has experience trauma and/or other injuries sustained in remote areas.
- Obtain vital signs (temperature, pulse, respiration, CRT) and determine normal vs abnormal readings
- Learn about the importance of the wilderness canine first aid kit and emergency supplies needed when engaging in outdoor activities with a dog.
- How to use the materials in it during an emergency in remote areas, on trails, in the water and more.
- How to manage and provide first aid for many common medical emergencies such as severe wounds, lacerations, fractures, heat stroke, snake bites, poisoning, burns, choking among many other conditions.
- An overview of how to perform the most current industry standard method of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation on dogs will be presented however this course does not certify the particpant in pet CPR. Please attend our Canine and Feline CPR and First Aid class for complete training and certification in pet CPR.
Course participants will receive the following:
- A copy of our full color Wilderness First Aid for Dogs Reference Guide E-book (printed books for this text are not available at this time but you may purchase a printed copy of our Canine and Feline CPR and First Aid Reference Guide at this link to be shipped to you).
- 2 year subscription to the Pet Emergency Education Online Resource Center
- Upon successful completion and receiving a passing score on all assessments, an official certificate may be printed immediately at the link under the final exam section
- Copyright access to use the K9WildAid+ logo to promote that you are certified
Upon completion of this class participants will be certified in Canine Wilderness Emergency First Aid**
This program 20-912150 is approved by the AAVSB RACE to offer a total of 0.00 CE Credits (3.00 max) being available to any one veterinarian: and/or 3.00 Veterinary Technician CE Credits (3.00 max). This RACE approval is for the subject matter categorie(s) of: Category One: Scientific using the delivery method(s) of: Non-Interactive-Distance. This approval is valid in jurisdictions which recognize AAVSB RACE; however, participants are responsible for ascertaining each board’s CE requirements”
Course is approved to award continuing education credit for the following animal professional organizations:
Members of the following professional organizations